I know how busy you all get, no time to cook, always grabbing food on the go – ‘I forgot to go to the supermarket, I’ll have to get something when I’m out’. The trouble with that is not only does it get expensive, but you have no idea where that food has come from and how it’s made. Often it’s tempting to just get a meal deal, I mean it has everything you need: a main meal, snack and drink right? But how often do you stop to think about the REAL nutritional value in the food you are eating? I’m not talking about how many calories are in, or what the packet says!
Too often we aren’t eating foods that give our bodies all the vitamins and minerals it needs. Also those unhealthy options are just too tempting when you’re always eating out. I don’t want you to deprive yourself of food, instead add more healthy foods in and start to swap out the bad for the good. What better way to start then with cookie dough balls right? You can make this recipe on the weekend for the week ahead, as being prepared plays such an important part when you are transitioning to a healthier diet. These cookie dough balls are a great grab and go option when you need a hit of something, they will also last in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
Raw Cookie Dough Balls
Makes 12 balls
- 2/3 cups of pine nut meal (I like using the one by Golden Oils)
- 2/3 cups of nuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 2 tablespoons of cacao nibs
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped dried fruit like dates, figs or cranberries
- You can also add a tablespoon of peanut butter if you want it more nutty tasting
1. Blend all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands.
3. Taste and add water if it looks to dry, or more honey if you like it sweeter. It should be a cookie dough consistency.
4. Roll the mixture into balls.
5. Eat and enjoy! Keep in fridge.
These are seriously delicious and a good snack that doesn’t come out of a packet. It is rich in iron, phosphorus, selenium, magnesium and zinc. If you’re transitioning to a healthier diet these a good swap idea and you can make the balls tiny, so you can have more than one at a time! Another important point to make is that you need to think about what you are eating while you are eating it. For example don’t eat while checking messages on your phone, while watching TV or being on the computer. Make eating a conscious activity and give your body praise for making a healthier food choice.